Some preliminary information is available on the forthcoming Green Deal call, due to be published under Horizon 2020.
Indications are that the call will comprise eight thematic areas
- Area 1: Increasing Climate Ambition - cross sectoral challenges;
- Area 2: Clean, affordable and secure energy;
- Area 3: Industry for a clean and circular economy;
- Area 4: Energy and resource efficient buildings;
- Area 5: Sustainable and smart mobility;
- Area 6: Farm to fork;
- Area 7: Ecosystems and Biodiversity;
- Area 8: Zero-pollution, toxic free environment.
It is expected that there will also be two ‘supporting sections’ which will complement the 'impact' focus of the eight areas. These will fund actions that improve knowledge of consumer behaviour and individual mobilisation and engagement issues in respect of climate action. These additional sections are:
- Area 9: Strengthening our knowledge in support of the European Green Deal;
- Area 10: Empowering citizens for the transition towards a climate neutral, sustainable Europe.
The Commission has also indicated that there is scope for a potential eleventh area specifically targeting International Cooperation. Whilst all areas of the Green Deal call are open to international cooperation, if sufficient impact is not achieved in this regard, the Commission has proposed an additional topic with a focus on clean energy solutions in Africa and the Mediterranean.
The Green Deal call is due to be published in the late summer/early autumn of 2020. Proposals involving technologies of a higher Technology Readiness Level (TRL) will be given priority consideration.